About Hughes Forrest
In 1931 the company was founded by Tom Hughes, Frank Forrest and David Evans trading from Bangor Warf on the River Usk close to Newport's City centre on the aptly named Screw Packet Lane.
These premises were subject to a compulsory purchase from the local council for road system improvements and we moved to Bolt Street in the Pillgwenlly area of Newport in 1970 where we still trade from today.
The Bolt Street site has become our Head Office and probably can lay claim to the largest and best Kitchen and Bathrooms Showroom in Newport. As well as being the busiest Builder's Merchant yard in the area.
In 1998 we expanded for the first time, taking over Blackwood Building Supplies at Starks Yard in Pontllanfraith which proved a huge success. So much so, that in 2007 the decision was taken to relocate to larger premises.
The relocation of the Blackwood business was a million pound project and involved us turning a former manufacturing unit on the Newbridge Road Industrial Estate into a 24,000 square foot Builders Merchants with ample parking and specially designed yard layout.
Further expansion took place with the purchase of Harrison's Builder's Yard, Ebbw Vale in 2004. This third piece in the Hughes Forrest jigsaw helps us cover the requirements of our builders across the Gwent area.
2008 saw Hughes Forrest join the National Buying Group (NBG) an organisation of independent Builder's Merchants whose network covers the entire UK. This decision has proved invaluable when competing against the National Merchants.
This year has seen the Company moving forward with the opening of a new branch in our capital city Cardiff. Formerly Manor Brick, we hope to build on their reputation for bricks and paving adding our wide stock ranges and great service. We have even re-opened the Cafe.